Livingston Awards for Young Journalists Worldwide
Level Non-Degree /Short program
Number of Opportunity: 3
Eligible Region/CountriesAll Countries
The Wallace House Center for Journalists situated at the University of Michigan is accepting applications for Livingston Awards 2022. The Award helps talented reporters develop their confidence and institutional backing for ambitious projects and exposes winners of national recognition to new stories, audiences, and career options. The Livingston Awards accept print, video, audio, online, and data visualization entries.
Founded in 1981, the Livingston Awards were established to honor outstanding reporting and enhance journalists’ careers under the age of 35. The Livingston Awards have recognized exceptional young journalists and the next generation of newsroom leaders for the past 40 years.
- Application Deadline: February 1, 2023 (9:29 a.m. AFT)
- Finalists Notification: April 1, 2023
- Funding Organization: Wallace House Center for Journalists
- Host Organization: University of Michigan
- Location: U.S.
- Gender: Male/Female
- Number of Positions: 3
- Degree: None
- Eligible Countries: All
- Program Duration: N/A
- Language Required: English
- Fields: Journalism
Wallace House Center for Journalists awards prizes of $10,000 in 3 categories directly to the journalists rather than the media organization:
- Local reporting
- National reporting
- International reporting
All applicants should meet the following eligibility criteria:
- As of December 31, 2022, candidates must be 34 years old or younger.
- Several bylines are eligible, but they must all meet the age criteria.
- One entry is limited to a single piece, or a maximum of three pieces from a published series, an original work, and its sequels, or three pieces grouped in a beat. The same organization must publish all series of articles.
- Is no limit to the number of entries. A media organization can submit as long as they only offer one per reporter.
- Individuals can apply individually or have their organization do it for them.
- Work in print, on the web, video, audio, and data visualization is all eligible. Still, photography isn’t suitable.
- Entrants must publish their works in US-controlled media; applicants must not be U.S. citizens.
- Entries must be related to current events or contain new information about past occurrences. It’s possible to submit features and commentary.
- Materials regularly prepared for a journalist’s professional production must be included in submissions.
- The Livingston Awards do not accept materials created by journalists, particularly for submission means.
- Student media cannot apply for this Award.
- The competition is available to work published or appearing in the calendar year of 2022, which ends on December 31, 2022.
- The Livingston Awards will organize an outreach event for the winners.
- The Awards’ organizers reserve the right to use a part or complete entry piece for educational purposes or publicity.
A panel of judges from the University of Michigan who have long been involved with the program and have received high praise for their achievements in journalism will select the final entrants.
Applicants should prepare the following documents in proper format and size:
- Summary of Entry not more than 50 words
- PDF uploads and URL links of a single piece of one entry or a maximum of three parts of an entry
- Cover Letter (not mandatory)
- Contact Information
- Proof of age, like birth certificate, passport identification page, or current U.S. driver’s license.
- Text and Data Visualization Entries
- A PDF format of the material can be multiple pages or a single page
- Each PDF upload label includes the entrant’s last name and the article’s date of publication. Example: Smith 9-26-22.pdf.
- PDF upload size not larger than 8.5″ x 11″ with 10 points or larger type size.
- PDF upload can be a text version of an online story.
- Upload smaller size of PDF files larger than 2 M.B.
- All clips must show the story headline, byline, the name of the media organization, and date of publication.
- Please find an Acceptable PDF.
- Translation of non-English submission
- Also, applicants must provide a working URL corresponding with the PDF piece.
2. Video and Audio Entries
- Upload a transcript.
- Applicants should label the transcript with the entrant’s last name(s).
- The transcript should include the air date, online date, or total running time.
- Suppose the applicant’s entry includes others’ work who is over the age of 34. In that case, the applicant should have their name(s) and age(s) in the Video or Audio Contribution Breakdown field along with a breakdown, full work responsibilities description, and percentage of work each team member contributed to the project.
- Include a working URL in the relevant field.
- Translation of non-English submission
How to Apply?
Applicants must apply and submit their entries online. Applicants can submit their print, web, video, audio, and data visualization entries to the Livingston Awards.
Check More Opportunities
Reporters Without Borders Scholarship program in Germany Scholarship Training
Journalism Fellowship by FASPE 2023 Fellowship