Jonathan B. Postel Service Award (Prize: $20,000)
Language Requirement Not required
Eligible Region/CountriesOpen for all
Applications are open for Jonathan B. Postel Service Award by the Internet Society. The Jonathan B. Postel Service Award is given to an individual or organization that has made extraordinary and persistent contributions to the Internet community each year. The award was named after Dr. Jonathan B. Postel to honor and remember his remarkable management over a 30-year career in networking.
Organized by: Internet Society
Application Deadline: May 13, 2022, at 23:59 UTC
About Jonathan Bruce Postel:
On August 6, 1943, Jonathan Bruce Postel was born. Although he was not widely known to the general public, his appearance – bushy grey beard, long hair, and sandals – made him the most recognized archetype of an Internet pioneer. Beyond appearances, his vision, determination, and efforts were critical in creating and shaping the Internet that we all use today. When he died, at the age of 55, his mourners launched a soaring squadron of paper planes in tribute to the man they viewed as a technical genius, a man who silently did what was required to ensure the Internet’s growth for good.
- At a virtual worldwide summit with Internet technology professionals later this year, the chosen candidate will be rewarded with a US$20,000 honorarium and the distinctive crystal engraved globe.
- The award recognizes continuous and significant technological achievements, community service, and leadership. The nomination committee places a premium on individuals who have assisted and empowered others in their work in terms of leadership.
- Statement of Recommendation (Include particular deeds, works, contributions, and other criteria demonstrating how the nominee has served the Internet and its communities. This remark should make it apparent that the applicant has consistently performed in this manner over a long period, max. 10 MBs)
- References to support candidacy (Min. 2, Include names, email addresses, and telephone numbers.)
- 2 Letters of Reference (max. 4 MB)
How to submit a nomination for Jonathan B. Postel Service Award?
Fill out the Nomination Form linked below. Nominators must fill out all sections as completely as feasible. Your completed form is the critical tool utilized to assess the qualifications of your nomination.
- The candidate has created new technologies that have increased the functioning or scope of the Internet.
- Contributions include inventing new protocols, devices, procedures, technological processes, or tools that contribute to the Internet’s growth, utility, or strength.
- The candidate has made significant contributions to the Internet’s strengthening, growth, and protection. Their efforts have increased the availability and accessibility of the Internet in their region and beyond.
The candidate has rallied a community, founded a group, or inspired an existing organization to:
- Contribute to innovation and the advancement of the Internet.
- Develop and strengthen the Internet.
Service to the Community:
- The applicant gives their time to teach others about the Internet.
- Applicant allow others to contribute to the growth of the Internet.
- The candidate continue to devote their time and energy to the evolution and adoption of the Internet.
- From May 23 through June 10, 2022
Members of the award committee analyze nominations and compile a list of final candidates.
- June 13 – July 1, 2022
The 2022 awardee will be chosen by the majority of the award committee members from among the shortlisted nominees.
- November 5-11, 2022
During the week of the IETF 115, the recipient is announced and presented.
To learn more about Jonathan B. Postel Service Award, please visit the Internet Society’s website.
Other opportunities you may like: