Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers 2022
- View on Map
- Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS) posted 7 months ago
- Posted: January 13, 2022 -Accepting applications
Language Requirement Not required
Number of Opportunity: 3
Eligible Region/CountriesDeveloping Countries
Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers (Japan Award) accepts applications. Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS) and The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries (MAFF) of Japan organize and present this annual award established in 2007. Its goal is to boost motivation among young researchers involved in research and development in agriculture, fisheries, forestry, and related industries in developing regions, which Japan promotes for the benefit of those countries.
Organizers: JIRCAS and MAFF of Japan
Application Deadline: February 28, 2022
Award Winners Determination: October 2022
Award Ceremony: November 2022 in Japan
- All 3 award winners will be invited to Japan to personally accept their awards and present their research findings and achievements.
- Depending on the situation at COVID-19, the organizer may decide not to invite them to Japan.
- During the commendation ceremony, the Chairman of the AFFRC will bestow a testimonial on the winners, winners also receive a cash prize of US$5,000 each from JIRCAS.
- Must be involved in research and development in developing regions in agriculture, forestry, fisheries, and related industries, including the food industry sector and the field of environment.
- You must be under 40 years old (as of January 1, 2022)
- Must be researchers with the nationality of a developing country and/or territory and affiliated with a non-Japanese research institute or university.
- Must be able to go to Japan for the award ceremony in 2022.
Note: The method of holding the awarding ceremony will be determined after the coronavirus infection status has been resolved.
Applicants for the Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers (Japan Award) in 2022 must prepare and submit the following forms and documents in English, one copy of each, both by post (original signed documents) and by email (Word files).
- (Form 1) Application Form
- A photograph (30 mm × 40 mm) taken within the past 6 months
- (Form 2) Self-Advertisement
- (Form 3) List of Research Achievements
- Attach supporting materials that substantiate the applicant’s achievements related to “3. Title of Research Achievement” in Form 1
- Most important research papers (3 items), technical handbooks, patent applications or utility models, newspaper articles, etc.
While evaluating and judging the applicants’ performance and research achievements for this award, the Selection Committee will consider the following points:
- The research and development have demonstrated a high level of originality.
- Achievements in research and development have been objectively assessed, for example, by publication in academic or technical journals.
- In terms of dissemination and commercialization, research and development have shown consideration for developing agriculture, forestry, fisheries, or related industries in developing countries.
- Even if it is not yet fully completed or widely disseminated, research and development have demonstrated the potential for significant advancement and the development of future technological and methodological innovations.
Evaluation Aspects and Rating (total of 20 points)
- Originality (5 points)
- Level of research and development (5 points)
- Dissemination and practicability (5 points)
- Future potential (5 points)
- In the case of collaborative research outcomes, the candidate’s contribution to the research will be weighed against the other collaborators.
- Research results generated through business activities will be appropriately evaluated as long as the selection criteria are met.
- Members of the committee affiliated with a research institute that recommends an applicant will not participate in the applicant’s evaluation and rating.
- Candidates’ relationships with Japan, such as research experiences in Japanese institutes and joint research experiences with Japanese institutes, may be considered.
How to apply for Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers?
- Applications must be prepared following the “Instructions for Preparing Application Forms” and submitted by post by the recommending research institute. Furthermore, word-processed files of each form must be submitted via email by the recommending research institute as they will be used to prepare a shortlist.
- Each institute, including its branches, can only recommend one researcher.
- If a research institute recommends two or more candidates, the Secretariat will request that the institute select one. If the research institute doesn’t respond by the deadline, all applications will be rejected.
- The application must include supporting materials which substantiate the candidate’s achievements, such as the applicant’s 3 important research papers, technical handbooks, patent applications or utility models, newspaper articles, and so on, as well as the applicant’s entire publication list directly related to the applicant’s research.
- Applications that are incomplete or incorrect will be disqualified from consideration.
Submission Email: [email protected]
Secretariat of the Japan International Award for Young Agricultural Researchers
Information and Public Relations Office
Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS)
1-1 Ohwashi, Tsukuba City, Ibaraki 305-8686 Japan
For more information, refer to JIRCAS’ official announcement.
You may also like these awards/prizes:
Kokuyo Design Award 2023 International Product Design Competition Award/Grant Competition
The Harold W. McGraw Fellowship for Business Journalism for Fall 2022 (Grant: up to $15,000) Award/Grant Fellowship