Global Korea Scholarships (GKS) for Master, PhD, and Research Students, 2023-24
- View on Map
- National Institute for International Education NIIED Korea posted 3 weeks ago
- Posted: March 8, 2023 -Accepting applications
Language Requirement TOEFLIELTSCambridge qualificationOther
Number of Opportunity: 1300
The Government of Korea offers Global Korea Scholarships (G.K.S.) for international students from different countries to pursue their bachelor, Master, and Ph.D. degrees in Korea. This fully-funded scholarship program covers all study expenses in Korea, including travel, accommodation, and education expenses. In the meantime, this will improve international education exchange and extend mutual friendship between Korea and participating countries.
Participation in the G.K.S. program is up to National Institute for International Education (N.I.I.E.D.). N.I.I.E.D. manages all scholarship works and budgets and invites the Korean Embassy in the designated country or a university to recommend potential candidates.
The primary purpose of this scholarship is to promote international exchanges and mutual friendships between countries by providing international students with opportunities to continue their advanced studies in Korea.
Important Details of Global Korea Scholarships
Duration of Program:
- Korean language: 1 year
- Master’s degree: 2 years
- Ph.D.: 3 years
- Research: 6 to 12 months (1 year)
Total Number of Scholarships: 1300
- Embassy track: 650
- Research: 5
- General: 610
- Overseas Korean: 20
- Korean language teaching professional: 15
- University track: 650
- General: 360
- Regional University: 220
- R&D: 60
- Research: 10
Fields of Study:
All fields are available in the participant universities.
- First round application period: February- March (Embassy Track), February – April (University Track)
- Final result announcement: Late June
G.K.S. Scholarship Benefits:
The scholarship covers all expenses, including the following:
- Full tuition fee: 5 million K.R.W.
- Flight ticket,
- Monthly allowance: 1,000,000 KRW for Master’s and Ph.D. and 1,500,000 KRW for Research
- Settlement allowance: 200,000 KRW once
- Language training: 1 million K.R.W.
- Health insurance: 55,630 KRW
- Korean proficiency grant: 100,000 KRW
- Grant for degree completion: 100,000
- Research support: 210K-240K K.R.W.
Who can Apply for Global Korea Scholarships?
- Be a national of designated countries: Albania, Angola, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Belize, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Brazil, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, China, Colombia, Comoros, Costa Rica, Coted’ Ivoire, Cuba, Dominican Republic, DR Congo, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial, Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Fiji, Gambia, Georgia, Guatemala, Ghana, Guyana, Guinea, Honduras, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kenya, Laos, Lesotho, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Malawi, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nambia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Senegal, Serbia, Sierra, Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Demonstrate a good health situation (physically and mentally).
- Have no criminal experience
- Previous and current G.K.S. scholars with a 90 % grade or above with topic Levels 5 or 6 are eligible to apply.
- Applicant and their parents should not have Korean citizenship.
- Be under 40 (born after September 1, 1983). Academic professors Applicants from ODA countries who are under 45 years of age can apply to this program.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in Master studies and a master’s degree in doctoral studies with C.G.P. Of above 2.64/40 or top 20% of Class or 80% average grade point.
- Applicants of the research program should have received an invitation from partner universities and must meet the following criteria:
- Postdoctoral Research Program: Applicants should hold a Doctoral degree (by February 28, 2023)
- Professor Exchange Program: Must hold a Master s degree AND should be currently teaching as a professor at a university.
- Program for Education, Science, Culture, and International Cooperation Professionals: Applicants must hold a Master s degree and be an Education, Science, Culture, or International Cooperation (E.S.C.I.) professional.
- Applicants in the last year of their studies and are expected to graduate by August 31 can apply with a certificate of expected graduation.
- Candidates should select and apply for only the O.N.E. track, whether the embassy track or the university track.
- Applicants with Korean knowledge or an English language certificate (TOEFL, T.O.E.I.C., IELTS will be given additional points.
How to Apply for Global Korea Scholarships?
Applicants should apply through the embassy in their home country or their desired University.
Candidates for the Embassy track should select three universities, and applicants of the University should choose only one University in their application. Please download the complete application guideline and forms.
Required Documents (in English or Korean)
- Application form
- Personal statement
- Study plan (only for Master’s and Ph.D.)
- Research proposal (only for research)
- One letter of recommendation
- Letter of invitation (only for research)
- G.K.S. application agreement
- Personal medical assessment form
- Consent letter to collect and use personal information
- Applicants’ or Parents’ citizenship document and relation document
- Bachelor’s graduation certification or diploma
- Transcripts of bachelor’s degree
- Master’s graduation certificate and diploma (only for Ph.D. and research applicants)
- Transcripts of Master’s degree (only for Ph.D. and research applicants)
- Doctoral graduation certificate and transcript (only for research)
- Certificate of employment for research applicants only
- Overseas Korean Documents or Proof of Korean Adoptee
- Korean Citizenship Renunciation evidence
- Proof of Korean War Veteran’s Descendant
- Language certificates (TOEFL, IELTS, T.O.E.C., Cambridge, T.O.P.I.K.)
- Published research and books
- Awards and certificates
- Copy of passport
Check More Scholarships
Chinese Government Scholarship at Donghua University for Postgraduate Students
University of Padua Departmental Scholarships for International Students in Italy
PhD scholarship program by China Studies Program at RUC
For more details on the Global Korea Scholarships, please download the files attached to this post or visit the Study in Korea official website.
UN Economic and Social Council-ECOSOC Youth Forum 2023 Conference Short Program
Young Professional Development Program (YPDP) by OPEC Fund in Austria, 2023 Mentorship Training