Call for Applications: Gerda Henkel Fellowships 2022/23
Language Requirement Not required
The Gerda Henkel Fellowship for fundamental historical research in the social sciences and humanities is now open for applications at the Centre for Advanced Study Sofia (CAS Sofia). The five-month in-residence fellowships are funded by the CAS Advanced Academia program and are available to Ph.D. holders.
Organized by: Gerda Henkel Foundation
Host Institute: Centre for Advanced Study Sofia (CAS Sofia)
Application Deadline: March 31, 2022
Result Announcement: July 2022
Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, China (only Tibet and Xinjiang Autonomous Regions), Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Mongolia, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Turkey, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.
Centre for Advanced Study Sofia (CAS Sofia) is an independent institute with an international and multidisciplinary focus. It supports high-level scholarship in the social sciences and humanities and is based in Sofia, Bulgaria. CAS Sofia welcomes excellent academics to pursue their research topics during an in-residence duration of up to five months, in addition to supporting focus-group research. The invited Fellows (Bulgarian and international fellows) participate in the Center’s intellectual life and scholarly community while working on projects of their choosing. Fellows get ample material and intellectual assistance, as well as access to the Center’s extensive worldwide networks and guest lecturer program. CAS Sofia assists Fellows in all practical matters relating to travel, living, and research in Sofia.
Duration of the Gerda Henkel Fellowship:
Candidates are eligible to apply for two periods:
- From October 1, 2022, to February 28, 2023, (Winter semester)
- March 1, 2023 – July 31, 2023 (Summer semester)
- The final fellowship invitation is based on the application’s ranking and selected period.
- The applicant’s availability for both times is a plus.
- Mention whether you choose one or both periods on the application form.
- The selected Fellows will be invited to present and discuss their project in lectures or seminars and other scientific activities held by the Centre (workshops, conferences, lectures, etc.).
- The results will be summarized in an article (in English) that will be published in the CAS Working Paper Series.
Benefits of Gerda Henkel Fellowship:
- A monthly stipend of 800 Euros (subject to 10% income tax) to support living expenses during the stay in Sofia.
- Accommodation in Sofia that includes both living and working quarters.
- Fellows will have free access to the CAS library and electronic materials and databases.
- Costs of travel from home to Sofia and back and visa and insurance (up to 850 Euro).
- Up to 1500 Euro (one-time grant) for a research field trip overseas during the fellowship duration.
- Research expenses (100 Euro per month).
- Be a citizen of one of the relevant countries listed above.
- Have obtained a PhD in the humanities or social sciences.
- Strong advantages include worldwide research experience (participation in projects and refereed conferences) and publications in peer-reviewed academic journals.
- Candidates under the age of 45 will be given preference.
Required Documents for Gerda Henkel Fellowship:
- Filled application form (The file must be entitled Familyname_ApplicationForm_2022 (for example: Smith_ApplicationForm_2022.doc). The file must be kept in Word format.
- Applicant’s recent photo
- PhD certificate
- 2 Letters of reference, using this form (for younger scholars up to 8 years after PhD defense and two research monographs only)
- Research Proposal (following this guide)
Note: The referees must submit the reference forms
How to apply for Gerda Henkel Fellowship?
To apply, you can submit all the required documents to the email address below.
Submission Email: [email protected]
- Participation in international research and a high-quality academic portfolio and publications.
- Proposal for basic research that makes a substantial impact.
- Approaches that are interdisciplinary and comparative are advantageous.
Check the official announcement for further information.
You may also like these fellowship programs:
- Blossom Hill Fellowship for Social Entrepreneurs 2022
- Senior Research Fellowship Program for PhD Holders
- UC Berkeley Food and Farming Journalism Fellowship (Grant: $10,000)
- World Journalist Fellowship | Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute at NYU
- Generation Fellowship 2022 by Breakthrough Institute