FoodTech Challenge 2022 for Agri-Food Startups (Awards Up to $ 2million)
Language Requirement Not required
Number of Opportunity: 10
Eligible Region/CountriesOpen to all
The FoodTech Challenge is a global competition that seeks the next generation of technological ideas capable of effectively and sustainably altering food and traditional agricultural operations. This program, a worldwide competition seeking global solutions to food security organized by the UAE Ministry of Climate Change and Environment and Abu Dhabi-based Tamkeen, is back for its second edition.
This year’s version of the competition, launched at Expo 2020 Dubai, focuses on early-stage entrepreneurs with concepts and solutions connected to controlling food production, loss, and waste to increase sustainability.
This challenge seeks innovative start-ups that provide solutions in two critical areas: “food production” to address food availability and abundance and investigate “next generation,” nutrient-rich alternatives, and ‘food loss and waste’ to ensure sustainability across the food supply chain and the planet more broadly.
Submit your early-stage startup and have a chance to travel to Dubai and earn up to $2 million for the deployment of your initiative.
- The total prize pool is worth USD 2 million and includes cash rewards, incentive programs, start-up acceleration, and R&D support.
- The Food Tech Challenge will pay transportation and lodging costs for a chosen number of finalists visiting the UAE ( Subject to travel restrictions).
Deadline for submitting the application
- Early Submission: May 20th, 2022. Submit the application form and executive summary.
- Regular Submission: June 24th, 2022. Submit the application form and executive summary.
- Jonathan B. Postel Service Award (Prize: $20,000)
- United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) Champions of the Earth Award 2022
- Next Generation Fellows by United Nations Foundation (Paid Internship)
The competition is available to all contestants above the age of 18. They are searching for early-stage agri-food tech start-ups in the areas of food production and food loss and waste.
To be eligible to participate, your start-up should be:
- Have a maximum of 25 workers.
- Have a minimal viable product that you can work with.
- Have only been in operation for less than 5 years.
- Have not yet pursued a Series-A round of funding.
- Address the “Food Production” or “Food Loss and Waste” value chain segments.
Applications will be evaluated based on:
- Technology: Applications must include value-added technology with the potential to alter the food and agricultural industries through innovative solutions.
- Commercial Viability: Applications must have an established and sizable target market as well as a medium-term financial viability route.
- Environmental Sustainability: Applications must demonstrate effective use of natural resources and contribute to food and agriculture’s environmental sustainability.
- Pathway to UAE Impact: Applications must include a well-developed, concrete strategy for testing, developing, and potentially launching (or scaling up) their products in the UAE.
- UAE Relevance: Applications must address a food security concern relevant to the UAE, and solutions must be deployable in the nation.
- To participate in the FoodTech Challenge, you must first register on the competition submission page through Apply Now button below. Please login to view the application form after making an account and validating your email address.
- You must submit information about your firm and suggested solution, short replies to various questions, a full business case with further company information, and a sample video of your solution.
- If you want to receive feedback before the Regular Submission date, you may choose the Early Submission route, which requires you to submit the application form along with an executive summary by the Early Submission deadline (May 20th).
- If you are shortlisted, you will get feedback and be requested to submit the additional supporting information (full business case + demo film) by the Regular Submission date (June 24th).
You can submit your application once you have given all of the essential information!
To learn more, visit the FoodTech Challenge Official webpage.
Explore more opportunities
- Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) Okayama Award 2022 (USD 3,000)
- FIFA World Cup Volunteer Program in Qatar 2022
- WIN WIN Gothenburg Sustainability Youth Award 2022 (50,000 SEK)
- Internship Program by OPEC Fund for International Development 2022
UN World Food Forum (WFF) Startup Innovation Awards 2022 Award/Grant Competition