Botany in Action BIA Fellowship Program 2023
Language Requirement Not required
Level Non-Degree /Short program
Eligible Region/CountriesPh.D. students in the US
The Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens Botany in Action Fellowship Program 2023 is now accepting applications. The Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens Botany in Action Fellowship program support the next generation of plant-based scientists dedicated to high-quality research and educational outreach. Each fellow in the program receives the following:
- $5,000 to use toward research-related expenses at sites in the US or abroad
- An all-expenses paid trip to Phipps to participate in science outreach training & opportunities to translate & communicate their research to non-scientific, public audiences through written, visual, or oral means (depending on COVID-19), and
- $5,000 for use toward research-related expenses at sites in the US or abroad..
Provided by: Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Deadline: January 6, 2023
Announcing Date: By the beginning of March 2023, the names of BIA Fellows will be released, and funds will start to flow.
Eligible Nationalities: Ph.D. students in the US
- Fully Funded Humboldt Research Fellowship in Germany 2023
- Illinois Global Institute (IGI) Language Fellowship 2023/24 (Stipend: $20,000)
- Plant-based interdisciplinary study at the interface of environmental and human health.
- Ethnobotany focuses on how plants are used for mental or physical health.
- Enduring landscapes.
- Particularly in regional (southwest Pennsylvania and neighboring states) and tropical forests, diversity and protection are crucial.
- Rehabilitation of the landscape and brownfields, focusing on ecosystem services provided by plants.
What are the benefits of the BIA Fellowship?
- As part of the program, each fellow is given $5,000 to go for research-related costs at locations in the US or abroad.
- An all-expenses-paid trip to Phipps for training in science outreach and the chance to communicate their findings using written, graphic, or spoken mediums to non-scientific, general public audiences (depending on the COVID-19 circumstance).
- After that, students will have more chances to engage the public with their studies through programs, exhibits, and other outreach activities.
A BIA Fellowship includes lifelong membership in a growing network of plant-based scientists that link their research with the general public, one year of assistance for research finance and educational outreach, and both. The program encourages BIA Fellows to reapply so they can continue receiving money for up to three more years to finish their dissertation research. Please note that continuing support is not promised and is based on the Fellow’s prior use of support, their dedication to expanding their educational outreach, and the availability of money. On a case-by-case basis, further financing can become available after three years. On December 31 of the calendar year it was received, all funding runs out. After this date, all remaining money must be returned to Phipps Conservatory.
Who is eligible for BIA Fellowship?
- Able to travel from a US location to Pittsburgh, PA, for the time of the Botany in Action Science Engagement Week, which will be from September 28 to October 1, 2023, depending on the COVID-19 scenario (flight expenses will be covered).
- Registered for a Ph.D. program at a US graduate school (US citizenship is not required).
- After Science Engagement Week, be able to commit to monthly online outreach (e.g., podcasting, blogging, vlogging, etc.).
- Doing a study on plants.
- Successes from the prior year are required for past fellows requesting grant renewal.
- Two Letters of Recommendation (PDF file sent by recommender)
- WORD file with Applicant Contact Information, University, Research Site, Recommender Information, Proposal Title, and Two Abstracts
Note: The CV and proposal must be saved as a single Word or PDF document, with the recommendation being held first. The applicant’s last name should come first in the file name, followed by the terms “BIA,” “funding year,” and “App” (for example, Ali BIA 2023 App.pdf). Please provide a separate WORD file containing the applicant’s contact information, university affiliation, research location, recommender information, proposal title, and two abstracts if you give a PDF.
How to apply for BIA Fellowship?
The following email address should receive all application documents with the subject line “BIA 2023 application,” followed by the applicant’s last name.
Submission Email: [email protected]
For more details about BIA Fellowship, please refer to the BIA’s official website.