About Duolingo Test
For today’s international students and institutions, Duolingo has created the English Test to measure language proficiency in the present. It provides a video interview, writing sample, and English proficiency score in a convenient, effective, and secure testing environment. Compared to other language tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, etc., the Duolingo English Test is affordable and takes less time. The exam assesses the candidate’s ability in four sections, including writing, reading, listening, and speaking. The test is designed on-demand to enroll at various universities. The test is transparent and secure for every applicant thanks to the use of AI and data forensics technology in its creation.
Test: Duolingo English Exam
Mode of exam: Online
Sections in the exam: 2
Exam Duration: 1 hour
Question types: Descriptive and objective
Test Fee: $49
Benefits of Duolingo English Test
Here are the benefits of the Duolingo English Test:
- You can take the test from your home at your convenience, however, maximum universities now prefer center-based test scores
- You can take mock tests for practice
- The fee is affordable in comparison to other language proficiency test
- You can get results within 48 hours
- Various universities accept the test scores as an alternative for IELTS/TOEFL
You are eligible to take the Duolingo test if the following things are available:
- Your passport, driver’s license or government ID
- A quiet, well-lit room
- 60 minutes of free time
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer
- A supported browser
- A front-facing camera
- A microphone
The Duolingo English test format includes:
- Listening to spoken words and selecting the real ones
- Reviewing written words and selecting the real ones
- Completing missing letters from a text
- Describing an image in writing or aloud
- Recording yourself saying a written sentence
- Verbally answering a spoken question
- Responding in writing to a written question (writing samples have a maximum of 500 words but are usually much shorter)
- Typing out a statement that you hear.
- A “video interview”, in which you speak for 1-3 minutes on a topic you choose (they offer two).
Tips for the Test Preparation
The Duolingo English Test evaluates the real-world English language ability. You must prepare thoroughly to get the maximum score needed to get admission in the institution. The following steps may help you to prepare for the exam:
- Improve your overall proficiency in reading, speaking, writing, and listening to clear the exam.
- You can use the Duolingo application to help you get more proficiency.
- You can read English articles to improve your language.
- There are many Duolingo English test practice materials available online for free. Answers will also be given for you to check your proficiency. Take advantage of them and practice well.
- You should take a practice test available for more clarity.
- Develop your writing skills by practicing writing essays.
- Speaking Practice can be done with a friend or anyone. Become comfortable talking about yourself and your experiences.
- Find Duolingo English Test Writing sample questions Online and start practicing.
- Read up on general topics such as news, current affairs, climate change, economics, etc. The more you read, the more you will develop the habit of understanding the context of the sentences and new vocabulary. Make a Duolingo English Test vocabulary list and practice daily.
- Duolingo English test sample questions are available on the official website. Make use of it and practice.
- You can watch a video walkthrough uploaded on the website of the Duolingo English test. See a short summary of the test experience to get to know the format.
- Not only by reading Duolingo study material, but you can also read some, high-level material like international magazines, newspapers, and practice writing regularly will help you to score well.
- Many online Duolingo English test pdf guide is available for you to get prepared well. Sample questions and answers pdf will help you to get an idea of the official Duolingo exam
Duolingo English Test Rules
Duolingo’s English test experience is unique in its way. While taking the Duolingo English Test, you will need to follow the given rules.
- You have to sit alone in a quiet in a well-lit room.
- Ensure your face is visible and not hidden by sunglasses or any other accessories.
- Make sure your ears are visible always and not covered by hair, hat, etc.
- You are not allowed to use any outside materials, including textbooks, mobile devices, or notes.
- You are not allowed to wear headphones or earphones.
- You cannot use any writing utensils or paper.
- You should not communicate with anyone else.
- Do not look anywhere else other than the screen.
- You are not allowed to leave the test window on your web browser for any reason.
How to Apply?
You can take the test within 90 days starting from your original purchase date. Follow the below process for registration for the Duolingo English test
- Create an account on the website of the Duolingo English test by giving your age, email id, and password. Then click “next”
- On the next page you will be asked the question “What are you interested in?” and you have to choose the options as given below:
Undergraduate university admissions
Graduate admissions (ex: MBA, Ph.D.)
Middle or high school admissions
Applying for a job or promotion
None of the above
- Choose the option you want to pursue and click on create account
- After creation, purchase the test and do the payment.
For more details, kindly visit Duolingo’s Official website.